Let an Accomplished, Renowned IP Firm Serve Your Patent Needs
Patent law issues handled professionally and competently
At IP Law Leaders PLLC, our legal and scientific professionals provide unparalleled expertise and strategic guidance to businesses striving to procure, maintain and enforce patent rights. Our patent professionals possess a keen understanding of the science and technology sectors, counseling clients in such areas as software and electronics, communications, semiconductors and medical devices. We have also cultivated core relationships with global technical consultants and advisors held in the highest regard in their industries, holding advanced degrees and bringing many years of technology experience.
IP counsel experienced in full array of patent services
We help you understand your rights as well as introduce you to the processes established by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). We have facility with all types of U.S. patents, namely:
- Utility patents — These protect the invention of a new and useful process, machine, manufacture or composition of matter or a new and useful improvement thereof. They are valid for a period of up to twenty years from the date of filing, subject to the payment of maintenance fees.
- Design patents — These are issued for a new, original and ornamental design embodied in or applied to an article of manufacture. They are valid for a period of fifteen years from the grant date.
- Plant patents — These are issued for a new and distinct, invented or discovered asexually reproduced plant including cultivated mutants, hybrids and newly found seedlings. They are valid for a period of up to twenty years from the date of filing.
We are also fully adept at acquiring and protecting patents under the international Patent Cooperation Treaty, and provide key contacts and support for companies seeking patents in regions and countries outside of the United States.
A knowledgeable guide through the patenting process
Our team of accomplished lawyers, some former patent examiners, handles all phases of patent prosecution, from initial research through drafting, filing, examination and approval. We handle all steps of the process, including:
- Research — Our team meticulously reviews your invention or design with an eye for eligibility based upon its being novel (not previously known), nonobvious (not just a combination of existing ideas) and useful (having a function).
- Searching — To be patentable, your invention or design cannot already have been publicly disclosed or invented by others. We conduct thorough searches of all previous public disclosures, which include foreign patents and printed publications.
- Preparation of application — We are skilled in complying with the USPTO’s and PCT’s highly specific requirements for information and supporting documents and for the format to be followed. Where appropriate, we prepare a provisional application, a simpler option that establishes an early filing date but must be followed up within one year by a nonprovisional application.
- Filing — Patent applications can be filed with the USPTO by hand-delivery, regular mail or the office’s electronic filing system (EFS). We are familiar with the multiple technical requirements and fee payment procedures that must be followed for each method used.
- Examination — We assist you through the review process that occurs after filing, addressing any deficiencies in the application. We will work with patent examiners reviewing your case to ensure you the broadest claim coverage to maximize your enforcement rights. We work with you until the case is ultimately allowed. We also handle appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Post-grant proceedings — We represent patent holders against post-grant challenges, notably in Inter Partes Review (IPR) proceedings, which are now governed by the America Invents Act (AIA). In fact, as litigators representing both plaintiffs and defendants, we have successfully brought IPRs and defended against them for our clients.
Strong hands at patent litigation
Patents are often challenged in litigation. At IP Law Leaders, we are seasoned trial counsel and have not only represented major global corporations, but we have also represented small and medium businesses, startups and independent inventors whose patents have been infringed by Fortune 100s. In fact, we are proud of our multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of our clients. Our litigation covers two main areas:
- Litigation alleging patent infringement — If another person or company attempts to infringe on your patent rights, we pursue all legal remedies. We first demand that the infringer cease and desist from unauthorized actions. We then seek damages and lost profits in enforcement actions, as well as permanent injunctions. We are also adept at handling licensing of your patent for running royalty and lump sum damages.
- Defense against patent infringement — If another person or company attempts to bring a claim for patent infringement against our client, we work to prove that the plaintiff’s patent is invalid, that the claims as properly constructed do not establish infringement, and also employ other defenses, such as patent misuse, inequitable conduct or estoppel.
Whether you are a plaintiff or defendant in an infringement case, our nationally renowned legal team has the ability and fortitude to fight for the maximum protection the law allows.
Contact our offices today to discuss your patent issue
At IP Law Leaders PLLC, we are committed to helping you attain and protect patents for your qualifying intellectual property. Call us at 800-549-0787 or contact us online to set up a free consultation.